Someone dropped a comment the other day, asking if I'd write a review on his book. Here it is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: The New Death and Others
Author: James Hutchings
Type of Book: A collection of short stories and poetry.
Subject Matter: Mythology, fairytales, poetry, morals, dark writing.
-The New Death and others is an entertaining book, a type of Dark fairytale scene with a side of poetry and a touch of 'modern' type writing.
-It has a very folklorish/legend type feel overall, and the characters are well presented and very realistic.
-This book mainly caters to an older audience, although childlike fairytale stories and morals are presented.
-The style is quite a mix of both informal and formal, modern and old classical literature.
My personal thoughts on this book:
This book was an interesting read, and I'd recommend it for all fans of folklore, poetry and dark themed literature.
The style of each of the short stories differs, or even intertwines old and new, such as classic deities speaking in modern times. Although The New Death and Others was a little too abstract for my personal tastes, those who appreciate thought inducing and less straightforward terms of fiction will probably find they most enjoy reading it.
I don't know much about what literature Goths would enjoy, but this seems like something that may be liked by those of you reading this review.
I take an example from one of the poems that I liked, "The Prince of the Howling Forest"
"On a miserable island they left him alone.
Though he carried no crown, though he sat on no throne
Death has crowned him at last, for in death he is known
as the Prince of the Howling Forest." <----This stanza is the end, but this part was my favorite.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I guess that's it. I am sorry I have nothing more to say, but I guess the best thing to do now is to have a look at the book yourself and draw your own opinions.
Again, as I've said: Don't be put off by my personal ideas, I am very picky about what I like to read. For those more open minded than me this may be an absolute jewel. :)
Overall:
Well written, if a bit abstract, a mix of fantasy and modern times, dark morals and tales, and a side of gloomy poetry and legend.
I hope you thought this review was alright, and that you'll read the book!

1 comment:
Thanks for reviewing my ebook. By the way, if anyone's interested in buying it I'm selling it on Amazon and Smashwords.
Post a Comment